26 Jun 2010, Comments (12)

By the pricking of my thumbs

The historic spill on Thursday had some of the hallmarks of a stage play, a Greek tragedy, or as the Americans say, Kabuki. Bekk wins by reproducing the whole thing in LOLcats (or LOLpolz) for your education.

I heard Kevin Rudd channelling Shakespeare on the ABC Breakfast program that morning, doing MacBeth and Duncan simultaneously.

KR: it’s far better these things are done quickly rather than being strung out over a period of time.

MacBeth: “If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well / It were done quickly” (Act 1, sc 7)

Quite a contrast to a past era where Labor politicians expressed their keenness to do people slowly. But back to the Scottish play. It was an ominous coincidence, and the weather outside the kitchen window was obligingly dark and rainy, but in this case it appears there were four witches, not three.

“When will we four meet again?…
when the hurly burly’s done, when the battle’s lost and won.
That’ll be ere the 6 o’clock news set of sun.
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
DRASTICK ACSHUN MUST BE TAKEN
LEST HE LOSE US TEH ELECSHUN

I’m sure the right wing commentariat would like to riff on Julia Gillard/Lady Macbeth, but it isn’t really a starter. The apparatchiks played the three four witches and Lady Macbeth rolled into one, and Julia was MacBeth herself. Who, you will recall, was a pasty freckly celt. See, it all fits. It’s spooky.

As for the next few weeks in the media, this pretty much says it all.

Comments (12) »

• Tim says:

Don’t often say this, but I really wish I’d written that. To-fucking-che!

• Ann O'Dyne says:

gosh Helen, I am finally back here from The Links, and I did the whole 18-holes.
    Thank you for lolPolz big big laughs, and for Godard’s Letterboxes (now bookmarked).
    Thank you for leading me to Hoyden About Town and 1: the laugh I got from Mindy’s comment “did anybody watch Thursday’s Kerry O’Brien Report?” when of course we were all gagging for it and sitting comfortably right on 7:30, and then 2. to Mildly Parenthetical’s excellent summary of the ‘interview’ which to me was a veritable tango – gorgeous to watch and not really about dancing.
    and thank you once/yet again for your A-grade blogging.
    Please sympathise with my despair that my 3 best/longest friends are mystified by the www, think all online activity is evil chatrooms, and resist my urging that they should relish all that I just have.

Thank you, Ms O’Dyne! And thank you also for the sites you’ve directed me to, like Pants.
    I missed the 7:30 report because I was being all K-Rudd workaholic and working late. But I have Monday and Tuesday off, so I will find time to Youtube it in the next coupla days.

I know, I know. My extended family is full of them. What can you do.

• Kath Lockett says:

Helen, this is brilliant – your analysis and links have summed up a busy week in politics more expertly and succintly than all the newspapers combined!

• Rebekka says:

Thanks for teh link!

• Matilda says:

Yes, I am guilty as charged of labelling Jools Lady Macbeth. Defer to your precision on matters Shakespearian. But can’t help noting she cuts a figure reminiscent of pictorial and cinemagraphic representations of Elizabeth 1.

Still think not giving Rudd the foreign minister portfolio was rather unsporting. How much blood is she baying for?

• Rebekka says:

Also, I’m glad you thought the drastic acshun must be taken line was Macbethian, I must admit I had the witches in mind when I wrote it.

Bekk, also, it haz teh korrect scanshun.

• paul walter says:

“By the pricking of my thumbs
    Some thing wicked this way comes”.
    Perhaps one of the Bishop sisters was the fourth witch, but must forewarn, dancing widdershins in Jacobean times was a health hazard, a bit like those cracks in the pavers deviously incorporated into Mall design by Patriarchy, for those who insist on shopping wearing eight inch spikes, during their latest assault on their credit card ratings.

• paul walter says:

“By the pricking of my thumbs
    Some thing wicked this way comes”.
    Perhaps one of the Bishop sisters was the fourth witch, but must forewarn, dancing widdershins in Jacobean times was a health hazard, a bit like those cracks in the pavers deviously incorporated into Mall design by Patriarchy, for those who insist on shopping wearing eight inch spikes, during their latest assaults on their credit card ratings.

• paul walter says:

Shit, seeeing double.
    How do you reckon Gillard is going?
    This thread shows how things can change, so quick, out of the blue.