6 Jun 2009, Comments (9)

Saturday Earworm

Because Friday was too busy.

I think it was Anne O’Dyne, or perhaps Caroline, who first pointed me to this lovely YouTube of Mike Rudd in the Olden Days.

I remember listening to that song when it first came out and riding our grey mare for hours down just such country roads, alone with my thoughts (or my friend Nicky) and the sounds of the crows and magpie song and the creak of saddle leather. The coolest boys at my high school looked like Mike.

Words and chords here – the chords are all over the place, but they’ll allow you to work it out for yourself.

• Caroline says:

Its a great clip eh? I never saw it on Countdown or GTK, or wherever it may have aired. Youtube is a great resource for old music antiquarians. Er. . . like me.

• Caroline says:

Like a road movie at walking pace.

Now you know why your photos of the two boys fill me with such yearning.

• Kath Lockett says:

It reminds me of 5MU radio, Murray Bridge, SA as a kid. This song would have been about the fastest they’d play in those days….

• Not growing up in Aus I have some huge gaps in local music knowledge which keeps getting me in trouble. I did a placement as a student in a clinic where Bill Putt did massage years ago. Had no idea who he was at the time. Lovely guy. Same for various members of Daddy Cool and the odd aria award winner who I have come across at work. Most embarrassing.

• Bernice says:

“Some of the roads I rode down have kerbs and gutters now. You can never go back.”

The past is an unkerbed country: they do things differently there.

Nice! 🙂

• David says:

Fantastic! The nostalgia is overpowering me! Those country roads and rambling free! But will the kids get it today?
    I hope the can.

I think so David – the 60s and 70s seem to be a huge influence on gen-Y bands.