19 Nov 2008, Comments (10)

Update on Exploding Boy

Boychild went into hospital yesterday for a minor procedure. They had to knock him out to have a really good look inside his eyeball using more invasive than usual procedures, to see if the sticky-up bits they thought they could see were actual sticky-up bits of retina. Which, as it turned out, they were, so they whisked him into theatre to stick the sticky-up bits down with laser.

His dad took him and my workplace is just around the corner, so I was able to come and sit with him as he woke up in recovery. He was in a bit of pain, but didn’t wake up overnight and today he’s as feisty as ever, although taking it easy. The doctor was happy with the result and says he can start to exercise again in a few days’ time. Hoo0bloody-ray- he’s been on enforced idleness, no running / Taekwondo /trampoline / recess games for a month, in case the suspicious bit went sproing.

The scar on his head is doing well, too, although it’ll always be visible.

I’ve written about Boychild’s bravery before. He undergoes all this stuff quite nonchalantly. This is the second time I’ve been in Recovery with him, which is strange for a boy who (touch wood) is never sick. The first time was because he had to have no less than four of his overly crowded teeth out for orthodontic reasons. As he came to, his vital signs monitor was beside him rather than behind him, as it was this time. He asked me what it was for. I told him. Immediately he started hyperventilating in a most alarming way. Nurse came over. “What’s up?” Boychild: “I’m seeing if I can make the numbers change.”

Update on the update: Seeing this post at Dr Cat’s place reminds me we must watch this doco tonight. After all the wonderful treatment we have experienced at the Eye and Ear Hospital so far, we have been billed for… $0.00.

This makes me think of two things.

It makes me very relieved I don’t live in the US, where we’d be trying to find out if and how much the treatment is covered under whatever health scheme our employer had seen fit to give us. If not covered, we’d be looking at extending the housing loan, or selling.

It also makes me ashamed at the difference between Australia’s response to my son’s eye injury and Shahin’s. Remember Shahin? I’ll be watching the documentary and hoping that under this government, we can do better.

• Tim says:

Very good news, Helen.

• ThirdCat says:

That’s hilarious! (The ending, I mean, obvs not the rest). Good news indeed.

Poor nurse. The boy needs to come with a warning.
    I have nothing but the highest praise for both the RVEEH and Western hospitals.

• Meself says:

Give the young brave, unfazed and sanguine lad a copy of the life and times of Lord Whoratio Nelson.

(Comes with a free telescope, I gather.)

• Alison says:

My nephew is much the same.
    Walks by with a bucket of sand and a bucket of water: what are you up to? Making quick sand.
    What’s that red patch on your leg? From the hot exhaust pipe on the bike. After badly ripping his cheek on the corner of his grandfather’s toolbox and getting 8 stitches he left the outpatients with “Well, THAT was annoying.”
    The boy is rather short on words.

• mimbles says:

I’m glad to hear Boychild is on the mend, reading stuff like this makes me very glad that both my boys are very sedate and unadventurous.

I do wish I’d read this post yesterday, I’d have definitely watched that doco had I known it was on.

• “I’m seeing if I can make the numbers change” !!
    what a wonderful Being he is.
    Wishing him speedy recovery.

• Exploding boy says:

Hey this is [boychild] speaking and i cant live life without you putting the last thing i just did on your blog

geez i just read it and there is so many updates on what i have been doing and what i just did. is this normal????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Exploding boy says:

whats with the boychild?

It’s for your protection. Also so all this embarassing exciting stuff won’t come up on Google in 15 years time. -Your Mum

• Exploding boy says:

and also that stupid exploding boy thingy.

everywhwere i go people somehow know that i have blown myself up… i dont know how but they do!

and now my mum sends updates on me all around the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111!!!!!
    some guy in Bangladesh could know about me and its all because of this blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111