10 May 2008, Comments Off on Lewd balloon-tying will be on the curriculum

Lewd balloon-tying will be on the curriculum

Girlchild: “She’s not doing the VCE. She’s doing the International Bachelorette.”

• DJ says:

Love it – I bet she was really emphatic about that as well!

• Dan says:

Hehe … hope she doesn’t get voted out.

• dysthymiac says:

the Chewbacca Lorikeet ?

Happy Mother’s Day

• genevieve says:

Bewdiful. Wish I’d done one.

I didn’t understand your comment Dan, didn’t know there was a reality show called Bachelorette (of course there was!). My mental image was more one of an international globetrotting, pink cocktail-sipping, love ’em and leave ’em character out of some chick lit novel.

Which may seem a bit pink-princessy by my standards, but I’m reading Disgrace and No Country for Old Men back to back, so my brain needs some relief from the Grim.

• Armagnac Esq says:

Foreign languishing is compulsory.

• Anastasiya says:

what’s wrong with pink and princessy?

(when “too girly” is seen as ‘bad’, something might be wrong IMHO)

“Too girly” can sometimes be problematic, yes, Anastasiya. Not always. Remember the definition of a weed is a plant in the wrong place, or too many places. The standardised graphic design style used for the “chick lit” novels, with its impossibly thin girly-girls prancing around on six-inch stilettos, does grate after the 700th time you pass it in a bookshop (and reflect on all the books you’ve asked them if they stock, to which they say no, because they’re too busy selling that shite.) Be that as it may, young Girlchild’s friend is probably going to get a customised going-away card, in the recognisable chicklit style, with “international bachelorette” featured somewhere. I feel it in my water.*

*The occasion of the remark was that Friend is going to spend a year or two at an international boarding school in China, which gave added resonance to the “international” bit.