29 Mar 2008, Comments Off on Ten minutes to Earth hour

Ten minutes to Earth hour

I’m not turning the fridge off. Not. SO reckon’s I’m cheating. I reckon throwing away a heap of food would be an act of unthinking bourgeois symbolism which creates more environmental damage than it would save.

Anyway that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

• lauredhel says:

Are people seriously proposing turning food-filled fridges off? What would be the point? Apart from the spoilage-and-waste issues, it would just work double time to get back down to temp when switched back on.

It was a bit of a jokey reductio ad absurdum on our part L – I’m not astute enough to have read the actual Earth Hour site itself, and I think it was just lights and entertainment that had to be turned off.

As it turned out we had a great time, parlour singing w/guitar and thinking up Famous Quotes for each other to guess (“Who said: This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly, it is to be thrown with great force?” etc.) Boychild was at a sleepover, so that pre-empted most of the whingeing 😉

• blue milk says:

We had a great time too!

One thing we realised was that without electrical appliances (and with our daughter asleep), we really had little to entertain ourselves with, particularly as I hadn’t had dinner yet and was starving hungry. We are so (shamefaced) totally dependent on computers and music etc.. um, what can we do now? Guess we could have sex. So us a million teenagers with nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

Funny thing was the dogs decided it was party time! and boinged all around the darkened loungeroom playing bitey-face. Aren’t mammals supposed to go into sleep mode when there’s no light??

• kate says:

The Bloke argued (unsuccessfully) that his ipod would be ok.

• blue milk says:

Sorry about the multitude of mistakes in my last comment.. I am really doing that a lot at the moment. Leaving the worst representations of my grammer all over the goddamn internet.

• Pavlov's Cat says:

“Bitey-face”??!

• wilful says:

My fridge is definitely my largest source of power consumption. But, as a recent four star rated one (can’t even find a five star one) it goes for several hours at a time without turning on. I think you could have safely turned the switch at the meter box – except for reprogramming clocks.

But then, I didn’t participate in earth hour, thinking it was the worst form of tokenism.

We saw it as a fun thing. it’s not going to change anyone’s behaviour if they’re not already going to. I guess if you enjoy the acoustic guitar around the table thing, like us, it can be fun.

Pav,

Bitey-face was an expression I saw on the dog forums way back when & didn’t really understand either. Now that I have two dogs who are very playful I understand. They “bite” each others noses, but the jaws don’t actually close, and wrestle with “terrifying” growls. It’s teh cute. But you have to keep your distance or they will run into your knees and bring you down.