2 Mar 2008, Comments (10)

WordPress Bleg: Images not displaying.

Anyone but WordPress users can probably look away – besides the fact that this won’t really grab your interest and for that I apologise.

Lately some .jpg images have been refusing to display after I’ve uploaded them and cut and pasted the HTML into the edit window in the usual way.

Instead of the usual square icon you’d get for “image not displaying”, though, the alt. text displays when the post is saved.

Is the HTML wrong? No. I’ve grabbed HTML from the posts where the image is displayed and compared them carefully. There’s no difference in the syntax. None. Funny thing is, too, that those images still display in the new post.

Has the image failed to upload? No. If I try to upload it again, WordPress will tell me it has already uploaded.

Has it uploaded to the wrong place? I wonder. The process is so automated and opaque to me that I can’t even check.

Has anyone else had this problem? The world is missing out on Ollie photos. This must not be.

• What ver. of WP are you using? Have a quick check to see if there’s any known issues.

• Dan says:

Try clipping just the image URL from the http snippet, and see if you can load the image on its own in a browser. If you can, then the problem is not with the image upload/format/location etc. If you can’t, then either WordPress is uploading it to the wrong spot and giving you a dud URL, or the permissions on your image folder have changed for some reason, or you’ve mistakenly saved the image in the wrong format, or something. Perhaps you could post an example post with the error in it, to help with troubleshooting.

• tigtog says:

I’d be happy to take a look under the hood for you.

Done, done and done. (Nun, that’s a different WordPress forum to the one I had a link to – so thanks for that.) Just trying again with the jpgs reoptimised, because somehow I’m able to display other graphics.

• Ariel says:

Sorry, I am no help at all … Just wanted to tell you I’ve tagged you for a meme about kids and quirks.

• […] Cast-iron Helen would appreciate help with displaying images in WordPress. […]

Thank you everyone, I’m very chuffed by your kindness. You know what it was? I am using an ancient version of WordPress (version 1.5.2) so your interface thingy may be different. But on the Options tab, fhere is an option to type in a Destination directory for file uploads. There is a recommended URL there in case it’s changed. It was full of crap, I just deleted the crap and copied the recommended URL into there. Voila!

Doggy pics!

Thanks again everyone, you’re wonderful!

Ariel, noted!

• Zoe says:

You rock – I’d been having the same problem, even with a newer version of WordPress. The destination directory was some weird thing, so I just changed it to the recommended one.

It’s dot dot dot slash dot dot dot slash for quite a while. then “tmp” as I recall.