21 Nov 2007, Comments Off on Unions Boo!

Unions Boo!

While we’re being frightened out of our wits on prime-time TV, in the leadup to the election, by ads featuring scary Unions (Ooga-booga!) we might do well to think of the outcome of monday’s rockfall at the Lihir Ballarat gold mine. The miners survival was in large part due to safety measures such as oxygen equipment and safety chambers. Not to mention protective clothing, boots and helmets. Such measures exist because those dreadful trade unions have worked for years to make workplaces safer.

If the incident had occurred in China or the Ukraine where independent unions are stifled by repressive governments, the outcome might have been very different.

Oh, and I support today’s teacher’s strike as well.

Crossposted at Road to Surfdom

• Ariel says:

I support the strike wholeheartedly (one in five public school teachers on contract – appalling for everyone involved!) but am mightily pissed off that the school knew about it a month ago (Google unearthed an article from Oct 26) but told us about it on Monday. Way to get parents on board. Grrr …

Are your kids at school in the collective classrooms today or at home for another glorious necessary day off?

• Ariel says:

Oh, and good point. It’s such an unfathomably bad sign about our society that unions – about collective bargaining (as opposed to ‘it’s all about me’ individualism) and supporting workers’ rights – are somehow evil. I don’t get it.

• Ann O'Dyne says:

all the voters who are horrified by the thought of a pro-union politician would be even more horrified if they had no holidays sick pay or 38-hour week. bloody idiots.

• Dan says:

Ariel, the strike wasn’t confirmed until last week, when the membership voted by secret ballot in their local branches. Also, until the Principal knows which staff are going on strike (which, in the case of our school, happened on Monday), he/she doesn’t know whether the school will have to close or whether it can open with certain year levels etc. Some schools had all staff walking out, and others had almost none.

Helen, you seem to have linked an article about a strike in 2004.

Thanks Dan, fixed. I certainly don’t want a repetition of 2004 (shudder).

• Ariel says:

Okay, fair call, Dan. I must have misinterpreted the article I read. I’ve just been stuffed around so much lately with my dealings with my school that I thought it was them. I stand corrected.

• blue milk says:

Good point and good timing!

• Bruce says:

Unions and mines. An anti-unionphobia argument made in heaven. Being an AEU member, I also support the strike.

Speaking of dishonest anti-union ads, you may be outraged by this one.

Thanks for that interesting link, Bruce. That is really disgusting. As you pointed out, a lot of the young Liberals (and I’d add the Liberal “Uglies”) are pretty intimidating characters.