12 Nov 2007, Comments Off on Sick day

Sick day

Boychild woke up with a sore throat this morning. We haven’t had a sick day in ages.

Although he clearly has a cold, he’s not miserable or feverish.

Outside, the sky is blue and the chirping of the sparrows is soporific. The dog snoozes in our bedroom, happy to have her people at home. I practice a new song on the guitar, and don’t quite get it, but I will next time. We glue another layer on the pinata.

I make him spaghetti jaffles with the old black jaffle iron. We talk about this and that and he chatters his mad ten-year-old chatter. He flashes his toothy grin.

This day is a gift.

• ThirdCat says:

Ha! We’ve got a pupil free day and I was just thinking exactly the same thing (though without the guitar).

• Aren’t they the best when they’re (mildly) sick? it’s a shameful thought, but I’m quite gleeful when I have to spend a day at home with sick child. Sick man, that’s a very different story.

Yay for non-threatening viral infections and panadol.

If he’s not well in two days time for school camp, that will be an entirely different story.

• tigtog says:

Oh, he can’t miss school camp!

Sounds like a delightful day, Helen.

• ThirdCat says:

…and then it all went to hell in a handbasket…hope yours didn’t

Hasn’t gone pearshaped yet, but I’m really crossing my fingers on the skool camp thing.

• Caroline says:

Sounds like a gift Helen. A little warpin’ and weavin’ in time.

• Ariel says:

That does sound nice. Weirdly (given our recent discovery), I’m having a day at home with a sick boy too. It’s not QUITE as nice, seeing as I’ve woken up with it and F and I were up to 1am nursing his sore ear. But he’s in good spirits now and we’re of to the video shop to borrow ‘Back to the Future’.

Enjoy your day!

• Hattie says:

What’s a Jaffle? This foreigner would like to know.

• peacay says:

Hattie, would it be a snackster (I had just been reading that thread, which has a link to a pic)? Or a toastie? Or at least, a jaffle is the toasted product made with the jaffle iron. I used to love strapping on the old jaffle iron to the bike for w/end camping.

Helen, sounds like a nice day. Nicer still for having been articulated.

Hattie, this is a jaffle iron.

they should be old and blackened. But I admit the concept is similar to the snackster.

They are 2-part and hinged so you squoosh the sandwich in the circular part and cut off the protruding edges. Usually cheese is involved because there’s nothing like melted cheese, but Boychild’s very keen on the tinned spaghetti jaffle.

Although they should really be used on a camp fire, a gas ring works perfectly.

Ariel, they probably have the same cold (caught at skool concert no doubt).

• Ariel says:

Yup, my thought, too. Hope yours recovered for school camp!

• Mark says:

I gotta get myself a jaffle iron.