13 Sep 2007, Comments Off on This is a local post for local people. There’s nothing for you here!

This is a local post for local people. There’s nothing for you here!

Image from www.thejim.iofm.net/strangers.html

Bouncing off Barista’s post about the by-election in his electorate, Melbourne Ports: we have one next weekend too, in Williamstown. We’re the electorate which used to belong to Bracksy before his resignation.

Williamstown is a safe Labor seat, a very safe seat, and there’s no Liberal candidate standing. (This isn’t the seat young Hamish got the boot from – this is State, he was feral. Sorry, Federal.) The Labor candidate is Wade Noonan of the Transport Workers Union, who has been parachuted in by Labor. This is a slap in the face to the people who live in the electorate – they have been trying to get trucks (monster B-doubles, container trucks and tankers) to keep out of the residential areas for years now.

I was never going to vote Labor anyway. They’ve been shitting me mightily lately; Tim Pallas’ arrogant refusal to even consider converting St Kilda road to allow for more bicycle lanes; Lynne Kosky’s handling of the decaying public transport infrastructure, and the government’s intention not to take back the public transport system, but instead stay with the discredited Connex corporation; the murky relationship between Labor, the CFMEU and the loggers and woodchippers; the continual privileging of roads and freeways over public transport, and Brumby, as the Murdochistas excitingly put it, crushing the proposed car-free day in the Melbourne CBD. They’re Liberal Lite, just like their federal counterparts. Oh, yes – did I mention their dirt campaign against the Green candidates?

We’ve received four. bloody. letters. each from Labor at our house – one each, so that’s eight – supposedly from the premier John Brumby, but authorisedintinylittlelettersatthebottom from S. Newnham of 360 King st. West Melbourne. Four each! Talk about overkill. (Who’s paying for it?). Barista has also received a letter from these tree-killers purporting to be from Sue Loukomitis, claiming that the Greens want to “close down” MacRobertson High school, a selective secondary school nearby. Strangely enough, that’s also authorisedintinylittlelettersatthebottom by S. Newnham, also of 360 King St. West Melbourne.

A few weeks ago I came across a grubby little website. It’s an astroturf site which is made to look like some kind of grass roots radical’s homemade effort, but which in fact is the work of – you guessed it – authorisedintinylittlelettersatthebottom by S. Newnham, of 360 King st. (If you’re incensed by this nasty little piece of work, don’t bother clicking on Comments – it’s a shell of a “blog”. Comments are disabled. Of course.) Greens-Liberal-deal.com.au (hmm, that’ll catch on with the yoof all right) is linked to some local batshit crazies via this site.

Barista sez:

[Newnham] is the State Secretary of the Australian Labor Party, an organisation that seems temporarily to have lost both its name and logo.

That nice Greg Combet, now standing for federal parliament after being an ACTU hero, sent me a letter today as well, endorsing the local ALP candidate. The slightly eccentric layout of that letter is identical to this one. It was also authorised by Mr Newnham, who still can’t find a logo. The Combet letter is folksy and nice, with his photo on it, and its clear what he wants and where he comes from. It contains this sentence:

“The commitment to decency and justice is what defines a good society.”

Well put, comrade. Do you think you could maybe find these sleazebags who sent me that smeary letter and tell them to fuck off where they came from, so I can vote for the ALP now and in the federal election without feeling sick?

‘Fraid I can’t.

There’s more about the dirt campaign here.

• shula says:

So who are we voting for, Helen?

You lead, I’ll follow.

I’m voting for Janet Rice.

(Not just because she’s the very person Mr Newnham is trying to scare me off voting for. But I’d be lying if I said that didn’t add an extra pleasure to ticking the box.)

• Paul Martin says:

Yes, that looks like a good choice to me. I’m pissed off about having to take time off my weekend, so I’m going to try to vote early at lunch-time today in the city.

We’ve also been getting two copies of everything from the ALP. I’ve lost track. I found the selective anti-Green campaign quite pernicious. I probably would have voted for them without it, but my mind was made up when I received that propaganda.

• fridgemagnettt says:

So I went off to the batshit site, which inspired what’s below – an email to the AEC. It will be interesting to see whether they agree/do anything.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hello,

I refer you to:

… where you will find:

Greens Watch is a Law-Abiding Unpaid Information Resource

The Greens Watch team holds itself to the highest standards of integrity and happily complies with all pertinent political legislation.

According to the AEC:
    29. Section 328A applies to electoral advertisements intended to affect voting in a federal election where a person has paid for the advertisement to appear on the Internet.

The Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 says:
    328A Publication of electoral advertisements on the Internet
    (1) A person commits an offence if:
    (a) either:
    (i) the person publishes an electoral advertisement on the Internet; or
    (ii) the person causes, permits or authorises an electoral advertisement to be published on the Internet; and
    (b) the electoral advertisement is intended to affect voting in an election; and
    (c) the electoral advertisement is paid for by the person or another person; and
    (d) the name and address of the person who authorised the advertisement do not appear at the end of the advertisement.

———————-

This is a website devoted to the demolition of a registered political party – yet its authors are not attributed. My reading of the acts quoted above would be that someone has paid for the hosting of that site; and that even if “unpaid” is an allowable exception to the regulations which govern the proper, public, authorisation of political advertising, that exception would not apply in this case.

Is the AEC able to act in this case?

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Fridgemagnett, up here for thinking. Excellent!!

• Squiz says:

Being a paid up member of the ALP I phoned Head Office this morning and put in a complaint. I have been telling them that these negative campaigns do no good ,but so far no one has believed me .

Maybe they will listen before the Federal Election – I couldn’t bear to get JH and his “Team ” back for another 3 years

• Armagnac Esq says:

I grits my teeth, I pushes on.

Armaniac, I’d vote for you!

• Ann O'Dyne says:

Doncha just hate ’em all?

‘Family First’ implies by their very name, the selfish thought that the individual is more than the Community –FamilIES First might have saved them from this opinion.

and don’t get me started on the AEC, who liaise VERY closely with Australiapost Mail Redirections information.
    Being a homeless person without fixed address, I legally updated my enrolment to the address of my ‘next of kin’; but since my mail is redirected from my previous home to my friend’s house, the AEC keep sending me multiple reams of paper and envelopes asking me to enrol ‘accurately’.
    I have attended in person at the AEC office to no avail.

I’d vote for Armagnac too.