19 Aug 2007, Comments Off on It’s not my fault

It’s not my fault

Boychild is having piano lessons, and now he has a new piano.

If Girlchild hadn’t stepped on my hi-hat stand, bending the central rod about 45 degrees, I wouldn’t have had to go to Billy Hyde’s today. Billy Hyde’s is a cornucopia of delicious goodies and it’s not often these days I get an excuse to go there.

Usually I’d be more circumspect and go to the excellent local music shop. These days, though, every time I step inside the place the proprietor is having a whinge. When I rang him about my bent stand, he seemed to think replacing the central rod was the only option, so I quite reasonably asked him whether they did repairs. For that, I copped a minor hissy fit. People: They’re called customers, and asking pertinent questions is allowed. So I went to Billy Hyde’s and ended up spending $400. Hah.

That was just for the keyboard – a nice man took the rod out the back and gave it a stern bashing for me. Now it’s 99.99999% straight. And he charged not a cent. So I had to buy something else, didn’t I? So I had to walk to the back of the shop to where the sticks and brushes are, and I had to walk past the insanely marked-down keyboard.

So, I blame Girlchild and the local music shop man for my rush of blood to the head.

• fridgemagnettt says:

… which is the great benefit of parenthood. The excuses it gives you to do that which you desire (and rarely the time or money you need to do it, but that’s another all that).

• “..a nice man took the rod out the back and gave it a stern bashing for me. Now it’s 99.99999% straight…”

Others have husbands, brothers, mates or next door neighbours.

• but i guess a nice man is better

• phil says:

Also explains why I own more guitars than I can make useful noises with. Never let a chance go by.

FX, my brother’s mate would do it, but I didn’t want to prezoom.

Phil, details please. How many? What kind?
    I have one takamine acoustic which pretty much fulfils my guitar-playing needs.

Fridgemagnett: Ain’t it the truth. There’s no greater excuse for a bit of retail therapy. And it’s such a nice change to spend money on something apart from things like dentistry and motor mechanics. (FX, teehee to your comment no. 2)

• shula says:

Fate, baby, that’s what it is.

It’s not the same as buying a new guitar though, is it Shula?
    Now that is exciting.
    Epiphone is selling novelty guitars for $299 which are “distressed” with paintings and stencils of 50s style cowboy and hawaiian themes. Kind of un-serious but if you had lots of money they would be fun to buy for a present.

I deliberately didn’t go into the acoustic guitar room 🙂

• tigtog says:

Wise decision. Going into the acoustic guitar room is nearly as bad as going over to the razzle dazzle microphone section.

With my voice I’m pretty safe from the microphones. Or they are safe from me. or something.

• Lad Litter says:

I almost have to be straitjacketed to prevent impulse buying at Billy Hyde’s. And have you noticed how great EVERY guitar sounds in the acoustic room?