24 Jul 2007, Comments Off on The enemy of my enemy is not my friend

The enemy of my enemy is not my friend

Sad, so sad today after listening to PM last night. That’s done it for me. I can’t vote for Krudd. Annabel Crabb in the SMH nailed it:

Mark Latham got into quite a lot of trouble three years ago when he went to Tasmania and announced the Labor Party’s policy on forestry.
Yesterday, Kevin Rudd was smarter. He went to Tassie and announced the Coalition’s policy instead, which seems to have gone down rather better on the whole.

Too clever by half. And Garrett. My god. Look at him learning how to weasel like a pro. Disgusting.

I’ll hurl if I hear another reference to laying Latham’s ghost to rest, yada, yada. He was a dill on many counts, but on forest policy he tried to do the right thing. It’s a pity no-one listened to him above the noise made by timber workers and executives lying on the ground chucking a tanty, otherwise they might have realised the “disastrous policy” was nothing of the kind.

So little left of the original cool temperate rainforest cover, and we’re going to lose more of it to Gunns Limited, the forestry division of the CMFEU, and the spineless Labor politicians who lie down and let those people walk all over them. The threatened areas in the Blue Tiers, the Weld, Styx and Tarkine wilderness, will be gone. My children and your children will never see them. It’s going to be sold for a mess of woodchips. Meanwhile, 600 auto workers get the sack in Geelong, but who gives a stuff? They’re not timber workers — Australia’s cutest, cuddliest protected species.)

Gutted.

Crossposted at Road to Surfdom

• Mark says:

As has been said, the bastards have made a damn good job of turning Australia into a ‘quarry and a farm’ – not to mention a logger’s dream. They don’t care if Australia doesn’t actually make very much any more.

What’s oddly contradictory is that when Ford announced its Geelong sackings, Rudd remarked that he didn’t want to be prime minister of country that doesn’t make things any more. Seems he’s happy to be PM of a country that bulldozers old-growth forrests, though.

Rather than turning thousands off him, which I doubt it will bar in a few Tassie green seats and the inner city Labor safe seats, perhaps this serves to remind us of the realities of Tiddledum and Twiddledee politics. You know, like when we all used to hate Paul Keating when he was PM, but we preferred him to the other bastards (who won, in the end). Perhaps that’s just the way it’s supposed to be.

• Greg says:

From what I can tell, logging isn’t about ‘making’ anything, other than toilet paper, oh, and wood chips for the Japanese, who then resell the products they make at substantial increases, including back to us.

It bothers me sometimes that the Federal government have to have a policy about everything at such detail. The only reason to have a Tasmanian logging policy is to disengage from Latham, which itself is only necessary because the Liberals will relentlessly keep the Leaner tag alive, if they can.

All politics is local, as the saying goes, but it seems to me that a broader environmental policy would be sufficient, and could be applied in a more directed fashion as necessary.

• As a Labor man I hereby make my best defence of this policy announcement:

While I’m at it, I provide the following good reasons the forestry union wasn’t expelled for treachery at the last election:

I’m going back to facebook and bear, it’s all too much for me.

• Sedge says:

Less gutted than we’re totally knackered.

Mainly on account of the serious lack of aforealluded balls in the ALP.

I no longer recognise the Party … in every sense.

To ineptly approptiate a slogan from my days of yore and youth … “Shame politics shame.”

• Sedge says:

… and to ineptly type “appropriate”.

And further – could there a more potent image than that Dick “is that a Gunns in my pocket or am I just pleased to see you?” Adams’ face behind Harry Potter-Krudd – beaming like the cheshire cat wots got the old growth forest cream?

Barf buckets all round.

Armagnac, you crack me up. BEAR POSTS PLEASE. Even little short bursts, you know, like Adelaide Writer. You could call them bearsts.

Yes indeedy, Sedge, barf bucket time. And Julia Gillard!! Goodness I so admired her ballsy take on Workchoices and defence of unions I forgot to check her environmental credentials. Ye Gods! Mar’n Ferson! Michael O’Connor… we’re all doomed.

• suze says:

Thanks for writing this. I had a think about it but couldn’t get words to the screen.

• Bernice says:

So much to be furious about, but I get really pissed off by the Forestry industry & its handmaids’ in government going in & on about how 21st century Oz forestry practices are. Mmmm – yes of course clear felling is not strip mining by any other name. Loss of habitat, loss of primary growth irreplacable forests, loss of water quality, enormous contributions to greenhouse gas outputs, short-term employment opportunities, all cheerfully funded by federal & state government subsidies. How very 21st century.

Christine Milne gives them a good kick in the pants in Crikey. I’m intrigued by the sentence “The forest announcement is a tipping point.” Wonder if it is, really? I mean, it was to me, but it hasn’t really provoked much of a reaction elsewhere.

It was the ABC doco last year on the cosy relationship between Victorian Labor and the loggers in Gippland which was the tipping point for me, in terms of not supporting the Labor party any more, except as a less worse option.

She makes the interesting point that this has gone against Rudd’s policy not to be seen to be pushed around by unions. So he can still be wedged on it. Guess you can’t please everyone.

• Laura says:

It makes me wonder if a change of government at this election is really what’s needed. If the Liberals stay on another term at least there’s theoretically a chance of an actual Opposition emerging during that time. No point swapping for a younger, blonder Howard.

This was really the last straw for me too. The argument that this is all cautious pre-election strategy and doesn’t reflect the real principles held by ALP people has worn out its welcome too.

• darlene says:

I agree.

I don’t know who to vote for.

Sigh!!!!

But I’ll probably vote ALP because who else is there to vote for.

Loved your post about that cartoon. So interesting.

Thanks, Darlene.
    Sorry for the delay – first comment goes to the spaminator.
    I x-posted this on Surfdom and got some good advice from some of the commenters – although for me, it doesn’t really matter because we’re in a rusted-on Labor seat!

• Ann O'Dyne says:

wot everybody above said.
    and Gunns has Japanese investors.

very disheartened after viewing Monday’s Four Corners program on the Tasmanian pulping plans.

what do you get with a Labor Government?
    Krud and asswipes.

• Ann O'Dyne says:

English Member of parliament for Lewes, Sussex

(which is Virginia Woolf and Foyle’s War territory)

Liberal Democrat Norman Baker
    has made statements
    in the parliament, deploring the 8,400 pulp industry jobs being valued above the much bigger tourist industry. Please follow the link as the statements list the japanese clients of Gunns.