25 Apr 2007, Comments Off on Anzac day baking post

Anzac day baking post

A repost from my old blog, cause I’m lazy, and I haven’t done a food blog for the longest time.

Anzac biscuits

An Australian institution. Note, we call them biscuits here, not cookies.

1 cup plain flour
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup “soft pack” brown sugar
3/4 cup dessicated coconut

2 tablespoons of golden syrup
125 g butter (half of a small block)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50 ml (2 tablespoons) boiling water

If you don’t live in Australia, I don’t like your chances of finding Golden Syrup* (not Molasses), which is pretty much peculiar to Australia, and I think the desiccated coconut is different too.
Anyway.

First, predeploy – sorry preheat – the oven at 150 degrees C. Secure key infrastucture (grease/line baking sheets).
Sift flour and mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Boil the water while you’re doing that. (Watch the butter and syrup mixture – turn the heat off before it becomes a quagmire.)

Now the fun bit.

Quickly mix the bicarb into the boiling water and add to the melted ingredients in the saucepan. It will foof up like some demented chemical Weapon of Mass Destruction. Before it foams right out of the saucepan and causes a Code Orange situation, add it to the dry ingredients. Mix all together – it should be quite difficult because you don’t want the mixture to be too wet. Tone that upper body.

Make the mixture into balls of a size depending on whether you like enormous cafe-style things or small biscuits. I use two soup spoons to squash the mixture together in a nice consistent size.

Place on greased / paper lined trays (which you should have pre-emptively, sorry, Previously prepared) and bake them. They’ll spread and flatten out to occupy a bit more territory, so they need space in between. Check them after 15 minutes – Mine tend to cook unevenly so I have to switch the trays between shelves and turn them around, but you might have a better oven. Check them every 5 minutes after that until they are a nice warm brown colour. Cool on racks, store in airtight etc, yada, yada.

Makes an absolutely indeterminate number of Anzacs (Platoons?) depending on the size you want, and for this reason, cooking time is pretty variable too.

*Since this post was written, Crooked Timber has addressed the Golden Syrup availability issue here.

• TimT says:

I had completely forgotten about the ‘foofing up’ bit. I cooked Anzac biccies a couple of times as a kid, and sometimes buggered that bit up, or burnt the syrup/butter while melting it.

Thanks for the recipe, I may just have to give it a burl this afternoon!

The foofing is the funnest part. Yes, the burning of the butter/syrup mixture is so easy to do – turn your back for a minute…

For US readers, 125 g butter = “half a stick”.

As Arnie said in one of his movies, “don’t drink and bake”.

• Jennifer says:

I made them this morning – I wish I’d had your recipe, as I think mine had too little dry ingredients, and too much butter. Still yummy, but quite greasy!

• shula says:

An oldie but a goodie.

• […] A highlight of the ANZAC day coverage was this ANZAC biscuit recipe from Helen, with a warning to foreigners that they may not be able to get golden syrup. As long as it’s available in New Zealand, though, this issue doesn’t seem worth expending too much anxiety over. Not to be outdone, Patrick supplies a recipe for ANZAC dahl. Adrian the Cabbie wonders why diggers don’t get more freebies on their special day, describing how one elderly gent thought he’d won the lottery when Adrian waived his fare. […]

• sooz says:

Thanks for the recipe – can I ask the source if you have one (Cookery the Australian Way by any chance)? I’m adding it into my Anzac -off queue of recipes.

Sooz, the recipe is in my Folder of Hand Written Recipes. Once something gets into the FOHWR, its origins become very murky.

There is a thing called the Edmonds Cookbook, which is a veritable bible to noo Zillanders, or people like me who must live with them and absorb their ways.

The EC is most entertaining for its fascinatingly horrible 60s savoury recipes, involving Oxo, prunes and the like, but it does have an Anzac recipe. I checked, but no, that isn’t where I got it from. For the benefit of your Anzac-Off, you MUST have the Edmonds recipe, Edmonds being the institution that it is. It appears to use even less butter than mine, and more coconut.

125 g (4 ozs) flour (Which I interpret as “one cup”
    150g (6 ozs) sugar (which I interpret as “3/4 cup”
    1 cup of coconut
    1 cup of rolled oats
    100g (3 1/2 oz) butter
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
    2 tablespoons boiling water

Method is exactly the same, so I won’t bother reproducing it.

Jennifer,
    Mine originally came out a bit greasy because the original recipe called for a cup of oats. I discovered if I put in extra oats it improved the texture a whole heap. But in terms of the mixing, jeebus, it’s tough. If you have one of those heavy duty mixers, all power to ya.