31 Mar 2007, Comments Off on This is kind of endearing

This is kind of endearing

Image from http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/monet/haystacks/matin.jpg

There’s an error appearing in great numbers at Road to Surfdom at present, to do with an empty haystack:

Warning: mb_strstr() [function.mb-strstr]: Empty haystack in /home/roadtosu/public_html/wp-includes/functions-formatting.php on line 45

I guess “empty haystack” means no Thomas Hardy-esque wenches or D.H. Lawrencian brooding young men.

• Ha Ha. There are a number of similar paintings in the National Gallery of Scotland. I always liked that section of the gallery.

• TimT says:

Maybe it means Tim Dunlop found his needle.

• Bruce says:

I’ve never been able to do the D.H. Lawrence thing… should I be able to? :O

• zebbidie says:

“Empty Haystack ” means that a PHP function was expecting something and got nothing, and is now querulously refusing to do anything more until the situation is righted. It can be exploited by the malicious to perpetrate DOS attacks.

It’s a bug in PHP which is on the list to be fixed.

I know that was excessively utalitarian for a rather winsome thread, but I am the sort of person who pops soap bubbles…sorry.

Bruce-
    Hmmm, it depends on what you mean by the “D.H. Lawrence thing”… you mean writing like him? Or just his Thing?
    Zebbidie, you’ve destroyed my rural idyll. I was also thinking Seth from Cold Comfort Farm… you know, “undid yet another shirt button as he lounged away”, that sort of thing

• tigtog says:

ooh. Seth. Get my my fainting couch.

[Clutches pearls]