6 May 2006, Comments Off on You’ve really got up my goat now, Kim-oi

You’ve really got up my goat now, Kim-oi

That’s it. Bomber Beazley was shaping up as Liberal Lite as it was, but
after this unctuous piece of turd-polishing on PM the other night, I’m never voting Labor again, ever.

Not that I have for a few years anyway.

There are half a million Aussie families putting their kids through non-Government schools and my message to them is simple: “I know most of you aren’t rich and I know most of your schools aren’t rich. I know you’re busting your necks at work and going about without to send your kids to non Government schools. And I know some of you think Labor disapproved of that choice. Well I don’t…

He missed the opportunity to say

There are half a million Aussie families putting their kids through
non-Government schools, and this message is not to cause offence to them, but we can’t afford to move towards a two-tier education system. All schools deserve funding, but we can’t deny any more that the public education system has been allowed to run down by the Liberal government. That is simply unacceptable. A family that needs to take mortage their house for private school fees because there are no excellent public schools in their area is not exercising choice. We must bring back real choice, and we must direct funds to where they are most needed, even if some private school funding has to take a back seat for a while to do that. It’s time we restored some real balance and put education, not tax cuts, in the forefront of policy.”

Well, a bit longer than the original, but in my wish fulfilment fantasies
editors are sometimes in short supply.

• Damian Doyle says:

I reacted the same way when I heard KB’s comments on a late night rerun. What a joke. Liberal Lite indeed, if not plain old Liberal. If I heard your fantasy statement instead I reckon I’d drop dead on the spot. I’ve toyed with the idea of going to Labor (for the first time) in the next election on the premise that any alternative has to be a good one. No way. I’ll stick with the minors and the grass roots groups. Major parties are a dead end, and KB and his supporters prove it time and time again.

• Zoe says:

I ♥ this post.

They just must not know how many Labor or Labor-leaning people really value quality public education.

• Ashleigh says:

Found you by accident.

Oh so true. I’ve been a Labor-leaner for a long time, and I detest Little John. But right now the Labor party don’t deserve to govern. They are a whining rabble with no policy worth thinking about, led by a blob who can laugh but can’t think.

It’s so sad.

• kate says:

This is like the John Howard apology on ‘The Games’…

Why can’t they be brave enough to say “roughly 70% of Australian children go to public schools, most of the others go to their local Catholic, Islamic or Christian school, and none of those schools will loose funding under this plan.” What I don’t get, is how the message “the ALP will give more funding to the vast majority of students, and less to the small minority whos parents are loaded and send them to schools with more facilities than most municipalities” was so easily manipulated by the coalition at the last election to the ALP’s disadvantage.

• Guy says:

I don’t want to be an apologist for KB, but private schools are here to stay, like it or not. As lefties we just have to face reality. While there are some filthy rich private schools who deserve a lot less government funding, there are also quite a number of poor private schools who probably deserve more than they get now. I don’t think Labor or any other party is going to get anywhere by smashing non-government schools (in general) into the ground. There’s lots of ordinary parents (see the graph from here – an increasing number) who send their kids to very un-ostenatatious private schools across the country.

The reality of school funding as it stands is that the State Governments are primarily responsible for public schools and the Federal Government is primarily responsible for private schools. This is more or less a convention that has involved rather than being due to any particular constitutional dictum. I would applaud any increase in funding to public schools, but taking from schools to give to to other schools is arguably not as good as simply taking from less worthy portfolios (or the budget surplus!) and giving it to the schools that need it most.

I heartily agree.

• brownie says:

I paid with difficulty, for 21 terms at a grammar school,
    in order to keep my daughter away from the violent children with criminal parents and also to expose her to a Christian education.
    There were plenty of parents at that school who struggled to pay the fees and a working mother was the key.
    I sensed no snobbery or elitism; the politically incorrect Mothers Club worked really hard to make the money so that every 2nd Grade child had a computer in class.
    When we moved to the suburbs and she enrolled at Brighton High School I rocked up for the Mothers Club to be told there wasn’t one. How do you raise money then? I asked.
    “The government gives it to us” they chorused.
    One difference I noted in the 2 forms of education is that the Grammar school emphasised TEAM spirit and the government school was all about the individual.
    She turned out pretty well. except for the tatt.

• TimT says:

Yeah, the comparison isn’t a simple one.

From kindy to year 10, I went to Balranald Central School, in remote NSW. Years 11 and 12 I went to boarding school in Sydney.

Mum was raising me and my three brothers, Dad had some position working for the local government. I’m not sure whether that qualifies as posh. Anyway, they got enough money together to send us to boarding school for two years.

Boarding school was MUCH BETTER – because our local school was in outback Australia, we tended to get novice teachers. The other kids were unruly – they disturbed classes so much that all I did was sit and read books (the teachers didn’t mind because I didn’t make a noise).

The teachers at private school were much better; and the parents committee was also much more active (like Brownie observed above).

• wpd says:

I am a strong supporter of public education. I worked in the public education system for many years in different roles. However I am not blinded to its defects/deficiencies. The truth is that most if not all parents want the best for their children. The public education system does not have, generally speaking, the same level of resources available to many private schools.

• kate says:

State schools in comfy suburbs must raise extra money somehow, things are certainly plusher there than they are in shools in poorer areas. While I understand what you’re getting at with the school community being involved and raising money, I don’t think parents and teachers should be relied on to provide hours of unpaid labour to finance a public institution through cake stalls. We don’t expect the Department of Premier and Cabinet to run a choccie drive to get the basic tools for their work, why do schools and hospitals?

There’s an excellent thread up at Zoe’s place. Will dive back in for a comment if I get time today.

But just in passing… Brownie Sheesh!
    in order to keep my daughter away from the violent children with criminal parents..
    Now I know you, like me, spent a lot of time in the alternative punk/etc music scene in the early to mid 80s, Crystal Ballroom and similar places – you cannot have missed the scions of aristocracy from Scotch, Caulfield (!) and Melbourne Grammar poncing about smacked out of their brains. A friend of a friend used to forge Daddy’s cheques to buy the stuff and were disparagingly referred to as “such a family of junkies”.

Criminals indeed!

Er, grammar-free zone there – I meant to say that some Malvern matron who knew the gel’s family said that they were a family of junkies.

• Private schools ensure your child need not be a state school pothead, but can guarantee the finer drugs on offer to your middle class offspring. Drugs are everywhere, the varieties merely differ. But avoiding getting caught up in the details…

I agree with the concept of the original post, except that, indeed, as a member of the Labor Party, I am not about to give up voting for them.

Very true, Stuart, as the recent Go-betweens bio reminds us. (see other comment above…)