27 Nov 2005, Comments Off on I R not impressed

I R not impressed

sedition_stamp-1.gif

As the rough IR beast slouches toward Canberra to be born, its supporters fall over themselves to find the most stupid historical reference or metaphor.

Here’s Peter Hendy of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. “It is a significant historic step, moving us form a horse and buggy 19th Century model of industrial relations, finally to a 21st Century model,” he said.

If only he’d paid attention to ‘Enry ‘Iggins,

a founding father of the constitution, a High Court judge and president of the Commonwealth Court of Conciliation and Arbitration. The dereglated industrial relations environment of the 19th century, which he described as “rude and barbarous”, was replaced by a “new province for law and order”, the system of conciliation and arbitration.

…This legislation is the antithesis of the “law and order” that H.B. Higgins was addressing. Rather than introducing a new philosophy for the 21st century it is largely an attempt to return to the legal environment of the 19th century. As such, it is a recipe for the sort of uncivilised community that an independent compulsory conciliation and arbitration system, based on fairness to human beings, was designed to avoid.

In other words, it’s the exact opposite of the Chamber of Commerce spin.

Then there’s “one backbencher”, not named, who “likens the public’s fears about IR to the Y2K anxiety: “The public will hold their breath, wake up ó and find nothing’s changed.””

How many ways is the Y2K problem not like the IR reforms? Let’s just say that any programs or embedded automated systems which weren’t Y2K compatible, so the theory went, would either work or not work on January 1, 2000. You are not going to get out of bed on the day the IR reforms take effect and find everything has suddenly changed. It’s going to be a much longer process of attrition, especially for people already in jobs.

Judith Troeth is the chairperson of the Senate IR bill “enquiry”, as the Michelle Grattan article I linked to quaintly describes it. Here’s her “enquiry”:

“This is the height of hysteria Ö In 12 months’ time people will be wondering what the fuss was about because most people will simply keep what they’ve got.”

Come the next election, I hope, Troeth will be the first casualty.

• R.H. says:

Anything supported by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry would have to be bad for ordinary people. Especially low-wage earners.

• R.H. says:

You don’t get many comments do you. I got 30,000 for my blog HAVE LAPTOP WILL TRAVEL. 5,000 were from a bird I’m now living with in Toorak. She’s got two white poodles a Rolls Royce and a butler who looks like deadpan Ruddock. In fact I think it IS deadpan Ruddock; he caught us in a double dissolution this morning and didn’t flinch.

Robert,you crack me up. I’m very grateful for you for coming in and bumping up my tragic comments total- Thanks!
    Do you think the Toorak bird could be persuaded to come and provide a few thousand more?
    “Have Laptop, will travel” appears to be a bunch of law professors. Or advertising sites by various companies catering to expatriates.

• R.H. says:

Thank you very much Miss Balcony but the proof is in the Crystal Ballroom if you want to see it. I have never met a professor or anyone in advertising but know that advertising employs a very upper-class sort of pimp. So does the Law.
    I’ll refer your request to my Lansell Road paramour (nice bum, no brains) but am not hopeful.

Yours (most sincerely)
    Toorak Bob.

• crystal says:

I trawl the blogs day and night searching for Commenting by erudite hero RH. I would hate to think I missed any. 491 readers have clicked his initials to read his profile and be disappointed – well maybe only 481, because I have done it about 10 times hoping that he might have opened his own blog we can all visit to pay homage a c’est homme and his homilies.

• R.H. says:

Well pardon me but I only comment on three or four blogs, that’s all. And I choose blogs that are the least popular. I could bump 491 up to 4910 in about three days if I wanted. It’s an easy thing to do. But it’s not my object.

(sobs)

• R.H. says:

“When we are born we cry, that we’ve come to this stage of fools.”
    -Shakespeare.

If you want to cry, put your heart into it; don’t sob. But why bother crying at all, people will just kick you harder.