2 Aug 2005, Comments (0)

Touched by his Noodly Appendage

shirtiwtb.jpg

Most of you know that many states in the US are demanding an “equal time” law between teaching evolution, and intelligent design, in schools. (An excellent development that may reach our shores via Hillsong Church, Assemblies of God or whoever.)

Kansas citizen Bobby Harrison decided to do something about it. Here’s his letter to the Kansas School Board (via Alas, a Blog).

I am writing you with much concern after having read of your hearing to decide whether the alternative theory of Intelligent Design should be taught along with the theory of Evolution. I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.
noodly.jpg

Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was He who created all that we see and all that we feel. We feel strongly that the overwhelming scientific evidence pointing towards evolutionary processes is nothing but a coincidence, put in place by Him.

It is for this reason that I’m writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories. In fact, I will go so far as to say, if you do not agree to do this, we will be forced to proceed with legal action.

Now read on

Bobby, so far, has had two responses from the School board.

• R. H. says:

Believe what you like: God or Lord Pasta, I don’t care. All the same, it’s nice to see you’re up with the latest; dis-owning the old man upstairs is all the rage right now, quite the thing. The trouble is, dirty commerce is always trying to make dough from current sentiment. Still, it’s doubtful this pimp will. He tries hard, but he’s not funny.

Robert, I was an atheist when you were in nappies probably. Unfortunately, it’s Hillsong Church which seems to be all the go here in Oz and man, are they in love with commerce. They wouldn’t call it dirty. They just want more of the folding stuff.

At least the Spaghetti Monster hasn’t called for a donation.

• R. H. says:

Hillsong Church is young women wanting to feel famous and young men wanting to feel them up. It’s been going on in little shop front groups for a long time. The women are sincere, the blokes aren’t. I know.
    I just get tired of all this putting the boots into religion by pseudo sophisticates – the latest way to get attention. They have their own type of religion anyway: the Worshipful Latte and the Holy Croissant.
    The truth is, Hillsong Church is the mating game, as is punk rock, grunge, the hippy movement, whatever you like. Men do what women want, to get what they want from women, that’s all.

You seem to have moved away from the point a bit, RH.
    Anyway, we both have. Bobby’s point wasn’t to rubbish religion per se. His point was to rubbish a growing anti-intellectual movement. the people I know who are “religious” are Quakers and such who don’t have the slightest problem with leaving science to the scientists, and keeping literal interpretations of a historical text out of the science classroom.

• Brownie says:

the Christian ethic is a most admirable one, for which I have complete respect,
    unfortunately, not all who claim to be Christian, practise it.
    Love Peace kindness tolerance assistance. No USURY! which brings me to the
    point__ why are christians not storming those banks who write incessantly
    wooing me to increase my credit limit? Active Christians irritate me that
    they choose what to object to and what not to.

• R. H. says:

Miss Brownie if active Christians knew you were getting all these love letters from your bank they’d be down there in a flash. Jealousy gets people moving like nothing else.

Brownie, ya read my mind. That’s what I’m about to blog next, and as all but every 16th of my blog posts goes down the drain due to work and such, here’s a good link

Unless you believe in the Rapture, I wouldn’t put a couch on the house anytime soon although we did put a car on it__ ouch__ but you have to have at least one of the buggers for a far-flung family like ourselves.